Classes & Camps
SUMMER 2020 – CAMPS & CLASSES
One-day workshops and five-day camps will be led by experienced instructors Kristi Wink, Jami Rawlins, and Emily Yaksic. All classes will take place with extra precautions to ensure the safety of students and staff members.
ONE DAY WORKSHOPS July 6-July 10, 2020
Kicking off the summer program will be 2-hour daily workshops which will meet from 9am to 11am daily for students age 7 to 15. When possible, classes will be broken into appropriate age groups. Class sizes are limited. No more than 9 students will be assigned to a room with a maximum of 27 students per day. Each class will be led by experienced instructors and offers students lessons in singing, dancing, and acting. Classes will be led by dance and movement instructor Kristi Wink, vocal instructor Jami Rawlins, and theatre instructor Emily Yaksic. Adding to the fun, instructors will creatively incorporate a daily theme into their lessons (see list below). Students are encouraged to come dressed according to the theme of the day! Class sizes are limited. Each workshop is $25 per student per day or $100 for the full week.
- PARTY IN THE USA – Monday, July 6, 2020
- DISNEY– Tuesday, July 7, 2020
- HAIRSPRAY DAY– Wednesday, July 8, 2020
- POP ROCK– Thursday, July 9, 2020
- BEACH DAY– Friday, July 10, 2020
Register Online Today (online processing fees apply) >>>
THEATRE CAMP WEEKS July 20-July 24, 2020 and July 27-July 31, 2020
In addition to the one-day workshops, the Academy will offer two 5-day “Set the Stage” Theatre Camp for students ages 7 through 15. Young performers will have the opportunity to discover that there truly is “No Place Like Home” as they celebrate Marion County’s Bicentennial. Campers are given the opportunity to develop their performance skills, while honoring Marion’s rich history which may include the 29th President of the United States, Warren G. Harding; Miss America 1938, Marilyn Meseke; Treasurer of the United States, Mary Ellen Withrow; the most famous Oorang Indian, Jim Thorpe, among other hometown heroes.
July 6-10 was a fantastic week of summer day camps! In addition to learning new songs, dance moves, and acting skills, theatre students had a blast dressing up according to a new theme each day. Some even brought their own props! The Palace staff received so much great feedback from parents and students who attended classes this week that we’ve brainstormed ideas and have added a whole new set of fun theme days for SET THE STAGE THEATRE CAMPS on July 20-24 and July 27-31. Instructors will incorporate the daily theme into music choices, theatre games, and dance moves. Dressing according to theme is optional, but it really is a lot of fun. Here’s what we have planned:
- Monday – “No Place Like Home” – Come dressed as a character from “The Wizard of Oz” or head to toe in the colors of the rainbow.
- Tuesday – “Hometown Hero Day” – We all have everyday heroes. Dress as one of yours — firefighters, police, dance teacher, coach; even a family member or public figure past or present.
- Wednesday – “School Spirit/Sports Day” – Show your school spirit by wearing school colors or sports gear representing your favorite school sport.
- Thursday – “Character Day” – Bring your favorite Palace musical or Marion Public Library book characters to life by dressing up like one for the day.
- Friday – “Bicentennial Bash” – Help us celebrate Marion County’s Bicentennial and wear red, white, and blue for the day.
In the past, “Set the Stage” ended with a performance on stage. This summer students will not be presenting a live show. Plans are underway for a video compilation to be shared with students and parents after the completion of camps.
The camps are split days with the morning session from 9am to 12noon for ages 7 to 10, and the afternoon session from 1pm to 5pm for ages 11 to 15. Class size is limited to 27 students per day. No more than 9 students will be assigned to a room. Cost for the morning session is $80 and the afternoon is $100.
Register Online Today (online processing fees apply) >>>
Current Palace Theatre Classes and Camps Safety Policies and Guidelines
Policies and guidelines will continue to evolve with time and will be assessed and updated on an ongoing basis. Updated July 10, 2020.
For Everyone’s Safety
- Palace staff and volunteers will conduct daily wellness checks and implement the use of face masks, as well as the use of gloves as appropriate.
- Children will have their temperature taken prior to entry. If the temperature is at or above 100, the student will be sent home.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each classroom
- Rest room breaks will be staggered between groups to discourage co-mingling.
- Students will be required to thoroughly wash their hands with soap and warm water.
- Restrooms will be sanitized after each break.
- No more than 9 students will be assigned to a room. No more than 27 students and 3 teachers will be in the building at one time.
- Students will remain in their designated classroom area and will not be permitted to co-mingle with other groups.
- To prevent cross-over traffic, students will rotate to each classroom area using separate pathways.
- Stairwell handrails will be sanitized between each classroom transition.
- To ensure proper social distancing, markers will be placed on the floor when appropriate.
- Extra time between morning and afternoon camps will allow the time for thorough cleanings in each classroom
Drop Off/Pick Up Policy
- Students are to be dropped off at the south side Pavilion entrance. Students will be met by a staff member or a volunteer who will escort children into the theatre.
- Please pick up your student promptly at the end of class in the same drop off location. Students will be escorted individually to parents in pick up line.
- Parents should remain in their cars at drop-off and pick-up times.
Registration Deadline/Refund Policy:
- Registration deadline one week prior to the beginning of camp
- Advance registration is required in order for our instructors to prepare materials for classes.
- For cancellations up to 7 days prior to the start of class a full refund will be given.
- For cancellations up to 48 hours a $10 processing fee is retained.
PALACE ACADEMY OF THE ARTS CLASSES
2020-2021 Academy Schedule & Details To Be Announced….stay tuned!
- Adult and Youth Acting classes are $84 per 7-week session; $72 per 6-week session.
- Preschool classes are $70 per 7-week session; $60 per 6-week session.
- A limited number of youth scholarships for group classes are available from the John & Kathy O’Shea Marion Community Foundation Fund through a competitive application process. Please pick up applications in the Palace Box Office.
- Registration and payment deadline is one week prior to the beginning of the first class.
- For more information or to register for classes listed below please call the Palace Box Office (740) 383-2101 or ENROLL ONLINE .
MUSIC IN MOTION for AGES 3-5 (Thursdays 1:30-2:15p) Help your youngest get out and moving with this energetic, motion-put-to-music, pre-dance class. Adults are invited to get up and get moving, too! Instructor Kristi Wink.
YOUTH ACTING Even if your child isn’t dreaming of a full time stage career, acting classes build skills to last a lifetime. Students participate in theatre games to explore voice technique and movement, while learning to think on their feet and building acting skills. In addition to improvisation, character development, and pantomime exercises, students work on individual monologues and scene work. Proven to build self confidence and boost communication skills, classes equip students for opportunities onstage and in life. Instructor Kristi Wink.
- AGES 6-7 YRS: Tue 6-7p
- AGES 8-10 YRS: Mon 7-8p
- AGES 11-14 YRS: Wed 7-8p
- AGES 15+ YRS: Wed 8:15-9:15p
DANCE BASICS for AGES 6-8 (Tuesdays 5-6p) This class is a mix of ballet and jazz, perfect for beginners who want to learn basic dance technique that will build a great foundation for continued advancement in these styles or any other dance style. Instructor Chelsea (Sims) Carbary.
BEGINNER MUSICAL THEATRE DANCE for AGES 8-13 (Thursdays 5-6p) You may be wondering… what style of dance is musical theatre considered? The answer… ANY STYLE! Traditionally known for a heavy focus in jazz, tap and ballet technique, musical theatre now uses so many more dance influences including contemporary, ballroom, hip hop and even international styles. This class will explore many of these styles and is perfect for anyone interested in becoming a well-rounded dancer, whether you perform in musical productions or just want to dance. Instructor Chelsea (Sims) Carbary.
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! for AGES 8-18 (Wednesdays 10a-11:30a) Designed with the home-schooled student in mind, this daytime class will focus on many performance aspects of musical theatre including acting, singing, and dancing while teaching valuable lessons in team building, leadership and self confidence. The 7 week session will culminate with a small performance of musical theatre numbers. This class takes place on the Palace Theatre stage is available to students of all skill levels ages 8 to 18. Students may bring a snack to enjoy during the mid-day break. Instructor Kristi Wink.
ADULT ACTING (Mondays 8:15-9:15p) This class is an opportunity to break out of your shell and try something new. Class instruction includes character development, voice technique, movement, improv, scene work, monologues, and more. Stimulate creativity. Grow confidence. And make new friends while you’re at it! Instructor Kristi Wink.
TAPPERCIZE for ADULTS (Tuesdays 7-8p) Looking for a fun new way to get you motivated to get out of your chair? This class is for you! Tappercize will have you up and moving with tap steps in sequences meant to raise your heart rate. Tap shoes not required for participation. Instructor Kristi Wink.
BROADWAY DANCERCIZE for ADULTS (Thursdays 7-8p) Regular exercise routines not for you but you need to get up and get moving? This “Jazzercise with a twist” class can help. We invite you to dance your way to better health while enjoying your favorite Broadway show tunes! Instructor Kristi Wink.
TRY IT ON FOR SIZE!
Don’t know if a class is right for you? No worries, for just $5, you can try a class on for size before you commit to a 7-week session. *Must register in advance. New students only.
PRIVATE LESSONS –
Private one-on-one lessons are also offered at the Academy. VOICE lessons with Jami Rawlins (ages 12 to adult) are available for interested participants. DANCE Instructor Chelsea (Sims) Carbary offers private jazz, tap, hip hop, ballet, contemporary/lyrical lessons for ages 4 and up, as well as couple’s ballroom dance, father/daughter dance, and mother/son dance. Music Educator Terri Malone offers private PIANO lessons for ages 7 and up. Kristi Wink offers One-On-One private lessons for any age interested in a variety of skills including, but not limited to, private acting, pageant preparation, job and college interview success, Broadway and theatre auditions, and public speaking. Private lessons are $35 per 30 minute class or $60 per 60 minute class. Couple’s dance is $55 per 30 minute class. Private Sessions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact the Palace Theatre Box Office (740) 383-2101 for available day and time slots.
YOGA CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
Feel the restorative power that yoga brings to mind and body with Certified Yoga Instructor & Yoga Alliance Member, Helene Everson. Learn yoga poses, meditation, stretching, relaxation, body awareness, and breathing. Students will receive instruction that is geared to personal needs and abilities; learn basic yoga postures and ways to modify the postures for individual body types. Monday nights are dedicated to beginning yoga students and Wednesday nights are for the more experienced student. Please bring a sticky mat and dress comfortably. All classes meet from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm. Registration deadline is one week before class begins.